Sunday, February 5, 2012

Day 1

Trapped her the night before (Saturday night) around 8pm.  She stayed in the trap covered up in the garage until midnight.  Had to make some preparations before she could come into the house.  At midnight I took her over to the 24 hr vet and got her tested for FeLV and FIV, fleas, ear mites etc.  All negative and she got a real good bill of health.  Estimated 12 weeks old.

She did have to be sedated for the checkup.   She has never had any human contact and is very scared.  She has seen me through the window while she was still with her mother outside, and she watched her mother come up to me for food and petting.  So she has seen me, but that's all.

Took her home, and put her in her own room with a nice large cat tree in front of a window, her own brand new litter box, plenty of cat toys, and food/water.  She will have privacy for as long as it takes her to get used to us, and my four cats.

Sunday morning, 10am, went in for the first visit to check on her.  I just opened the door slowly, and sat down at the door - opposite side of the room from her.  She was absolutely terrified.  She tried to jump through the window.  She finally sat on the window under the cat tree watching me.  I sat still at the door for 5 minutes, then left.

I noticed she didn't use the litter box, and peed on some blankets we put in there for her.  I removed the blanket and moved the litter box to where the blanket was.

You can see she is very scared.



Came back a few hours later and did the same thing, sat quietly at the door for about 5 minutes and let her look at me.  She was much calmer.  She just sat and watched me.  I repeated this every few hours all day.  I noticed she did use the litter box, and she did eat some of the dry food I left her.  Good signs.

At 1am, before I went to sleep, I went in and sat for about 15 minutes (in the dark, but there is a small night light).  She was playful, and played with a laser.  While she wasn't the same scared kitten she was just that morning, she still wouldn't come anywhere near me.  That's fine, no rush.